Obesity is defined as the abnormal or excessive accumulation of fat in the body. It increases your risk of diseases and health problems. The good news is that even modest weight loss can improve or prevent the health problems associated with obesity.
Obesity is diagnosed when your Body Mass Index (BMI) is 30 or higher.
|B M I||Weight Status|
|Below 18.5||Under Weight|
|18.5 – 24||Normal|
|25 – 29||Over Weight|
|30 – 34||Obese (Grade-1)|
|35 – 39||Obese (Grade-2)|
|40 & Above||Extreme Obesity (Grade-3)|
Causes of Obesity
- Genetics: A person is more likely to develop obesity if one or both parents are obese.
- Physical Inactivity: Is strongly correlated with weight gain in both sexes.
- Unhealthy Diet and Eating Habits: Regular intake of high-calorie and fast food leads to obesity.
- Diseases: Conditions such as hypothyroidism, insulin resistance, polycystic ovary syndrome, and Cushing’s syndrome also contribute to obesity.
- Medications: Some medications are associated with weight gain, for example:
- Anticonvulsants (used in seizures)
- Antidepressants (used in treating depression)
- Oral contraceptive pills
- Diabetes medications
- Psychological Factors: Stress, eating disorders.
- Pregnancy: Weight gain is necessary during pregnancy. Some women find it difficult to lose this weight after delivery, which may contribute to the development of obesity in women.
Complications of Obesity
If you are obese, you are more likely to develop a number of serious health problems, including:
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
- Diabetes – Type 2
- Hyperlipidemia (High Triglycerides and Low High-Density Lipoprotein, i.e., HDL)
- Heart Disease
- Cancer, including Breast, Ovarian, Uterine, Cervical, Endometrial, Colon, Rectum, Esophagus, Liver, Gallbladder, Pancreas, Kidney, Prostate
- Gynecological problems such as Infertility, PCOD, Irregular Menses, Early & Recurrent Abortion
- Erectile Dysfunction & Sexual Health Issues in Males
- Sleep Apnea – a Breathing Disorder in which Breathing Repeatedly Stops & Starts
- Fatty Liver – a Disease in which Fat Deposits in the Liver and Causes Inflammation
- Varicose Veins
- Psychological Problems like Loss of Confidence, Social Isolation, Depression, Lower Work Capacity
At Kanakaveda, we have an integrated approach to managing obesity. We are a group of doctors working together to provide the best treatment for obesity and related diseases. For the past 12 years, thousands of people have found relief from overweight and related disorders without any side effects. We treat this disease solely with homeopathic medicines. Our medications are better, safer, and result-oriented in reducing overweight.
Our primary goal is to achieve a ‘Healthier Weight’.